We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Sunday, July 4, 2010

A 2 Bean and Couscous Chili


My mother-in-law made a very delicious chili the other night and I just HAD to share the recipe with you! It's very unique and unlike any chili I had previously tasted before! The couscous and chickpeas made this chili not very 'heavy' feeling and it was just lovely! I have been really blessed here in Winnipeg because my family has been so supportive to my vegan lifestyle! It's sweet! I feel so passionate about my decision to become a vegan and I can't imagine living any other way! It's funny because I never imagined being a vegan and was quite content being a vegetarian...my journey to becoming a vegan was one that I now see was inevitable but at the time I never even thought about it! With every month that passes since January (when I became a vegan), I feel better, stronger, happier and healthier! YAY! Anyways, just wanted to share some of my excitement over my vegan lifestyle! One thing that I really want to work on and that Alicia talks about in The Kind Diet, is that I want to become more of a 'superhero' and consume less refined-sugars (such as the soy chai latte that I LOVE from starbucks)...I eat tons of greens, quinoa and hemp hearts...I would say that my diet is 90% extremely healthy...but I have this vice...I love stopping at Starbucks for a half-sweet, soy chai (no H2O)!!! It's such a terrible habit and I really want to break it! Baby steps...I think that once I am able to cleanse my system of this 'treat-which-has-become-more-than-a-treat', I will feel even better! SO that's my work-in-progress update for ya!

Onto this chili recipe!
Here it is!

Easy-Peasy 2 Bean & Couscous Chili:

1 tbsp. of olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups of mushrooms, sliced
2 cups of kidney beans, cooked
2 cups of chickpeas, cooked
1/2 cup of couscous
796ml can of tomatoes
1 cup of medium salsa
1/2 cup of water
pinch of sea salt
1 tbsp. of chili powder
1 tsp. of basil (or more if you like it)
1/2 tsp. each of pepper, oregano and cumin
1/4 tsp. of cayenne
1 tbsp. of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup of corn niblets
1 tsp. of maple sugar

Makes 10 1-cup Servings

Heat the oil in a large pot. Saute onions, peppers, and garlic for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add mushrooms and saute for 4 or 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients except the corn. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the corn. Scoop onto a plate or bowl and enjoy with a slice of local, vegan bread, toasted! MMM!

I wish I had taken a picture but I forgot! We were just so hungry that we dove right in! Next time I re-create this meal (on a cooler day), I will be sure to snap a few pics!

Enjoy and my next post will be a summery-dish! MMM

No comments:

Post a Comment