We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Carrot Zucchini Apple Muffins!

I've always been a big fan of muffins... chocolate chip banana... chocolate chip banana... mmm. Ha ha, well I was in the mood to try something new and different. I've never really had too many of the 'breakfast/feel healthier' type of muffins and I definitely have never made them. I have so many recipes for them, so it was the perfect thing to try on a cold 'winter' (yes it feels like winter over here in winterpeg... ok well not winter, but definitely a cool fall) day. I found a recipe that was pretty simple and with ingredients I mostly had (I didn't have too much time and didn't want to completely screw them up). I found this recipe in the Winnipeg Free Press quite a while ago (and actually kept it and then found it when needed? when does that happen?). It wasn't a vegan recipe, but very easily adaptable to one (I used nondairy milk instead of skim milk and egg replacer instead of egg... I would have used flax seeds/water for egg, but the recipe already called for flax seeds!). Here it goes!

Carrot Zucchini Apple Muffins

Makes: 12 medium-sized muffins

Ingredients:
1 eggs worth of egg replacer
2 Tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup nondairy milk (used unsweetened vanilla almond breeze... it's the only thing I ever have!)
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup diced, peeled apple
1/4 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup grated zucchini (I probably used 3/4-1 cup)

Directions:
-Beat 'egg' lightly in a large bowl and then add oil, nondairy milk, brown sugar and vanilla and mix well
-In another bowl, mix the flour, flax seed, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg together and then add to egg mixture (stir just until combined)
-Stir in apple, carrot and zucchini
-Spoon into 10 paper lined medium muffin cups filling almost to top
-Bake at 400 F for 18 to 20 minutes or until firm to touch

These were very delicious. I think one thing I would change would be the baking time. Although I took mine (exactly 12 muffins) out at 21 minutes and they were definitely firm to touch they seemed to be not baked as much as I would like. They were 'done', but a little 'chewy'? I would bake them a few more minutes and instead of going until firm to touch, I would wait until they are browned on top (not just light brown, but crisp brown). I think this would put them just over the top! They are a great, healthy feeling muffin (although I would like to try to replace the brown sugar fully or partially with something else... I think agave would make the dough too liquid, but maybe sucanat or something else?) and they aren't too large for a nice snack!




Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment