We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Sunday, December 19, 2010

Roast Vegetables

I LOVE roast vegetables. I saw this recipe in Tosca Reno's latest (hardcover) Eat Clean Cookbook (thanks Tosca!) and thought I'd give it a shot. Do you know those days that start off slow, kind of la laing it around, and then you realize you have no time to finish all that you started? Well this was one of those days. I timed out perfectly when to start dinner so it would be ready for 5:30 pm (we had to leave to carol at my grandmothers apartment building, something we do every year, at 6ish). Well, to say the least, I DID NOT have enough time. The kitchen was a mess (I left everything as I went, no time to clean) and I didn't exactly finish everything. These roast vegetables were also supposed to have onion in them, but no time, or space in the dishes, to put the onion! I also would have added a little more zest (more of some spices, maybe some lemon juice?) and drained some of the excess oil (there was a LOT of leftover oil, some was needed during the roasting, but not all of this). I also almost forgot to take pictures! So I snapped a few very quickly, but forgive me!

Roasted Summer Vegetables

Yields: 10 servings (a LOT, I didn't realize this until way after the fact)

Ingredients:
2 purple onions, peeled and cut into chunks
3 yellow baby squash or zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then cut into two-inch chunks (I used zucchini)
3 small leeks, whites or tender green insides only, cut in half lengthwise washed well and cut into two-inch chunks (try to keep the layers together for the roasting)
4 small plum tomatoes, kept whole
3 or 4 bell peppers in varying colours, seeded, deveined and quartered
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Several cloves of garlic, passed through a garlic press
1 Tbsp dried thyme, crumbled
5 sprigs rosemary, chopped fine
3 sprigs rosemary
1 tsp sea salt

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 400F
-Prepare baking sheet (I used 2) by lining it with parchment paper
-Combine all vegetables in a large mixing bowl and add oil, garlic, thyme, and chopped rosemary
-Mix well and arrange vegetables on baking sheet
-Lay a few whole sprigs of rosemary over the top of the pan and sprinkle salt over the top
-Roast in oven for 20 minutes
-Turn veggies and roast for 20 more minutes or until done (do not overcook)




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment