We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

So I decided to make a few dishes for dinner the other night and thought that I would water your mouths a little! I cooked 1 cup of brown rice with 2 cups of water along with a splash of olive oil and while that was cooking (it took forever to soften!!!), I toasted some pumpkin seeds!!! MMM! YUM! When I lived in China, it was a custom to serve a minimum of 5 dishes and everyone would share and take a little of this, a little of that. Who has the time to make five dishes when you have a toddler and a life?!!! I settled on three and felt pretty proud of my accomplishments!!!!













I had previously marinated these tofu sesame snacks and let me tell all of you meat-eaters, flirts, vegetarians out there: They are RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS! You will loveeee them! I have never met one person that doesn't rave about how great they are and ask me to make them again! My 19-month old son would eat the entire batch if I let him!!! I even served them at his 1st birthday party and they were devoured in minutes!!! My husband and brother were originally skeptics but one bite was all it took to have them hooked!!! Do you want to hear the bonus?! They are so so so easy to make!!! YAY! I love cooking, I love food, but I also love convenience!!! I have such a go-go life and I really like to make great food but I also don't want it to consume my entire day!!! So the recipe for tofu sesame snacks was derived from the Planet Organic Cookbook!

Tofu Sesame Snacks Recipe
One block of organic extra firm tofu, non-GMO (I like to use a British Columbia, certified organic brand)
3 tbsp. of toasted sesame oil
3 tbsp. of Bragg
3 tbsp. of sesame seeds
2 tsp. of cumin
shake some pepper and garlic powder
Cut the tofu into strips and place in a casserole dish. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Place in the fridge. You can marinate the tofu for as little time as 5 minutes or overnight for a more intense flavour! When ready to bake, pre-heat the oven to 350`. Place tofu on a baking sheet and put in the oven for ten minutes. After ten minutes remove tofu, flip the tofu and bake for another 5-10 minutes. These taste amazing warm or the next day cold!

The last dish that I made for our dinner was the roasted veggies which are pictured above. You will never believe how amazing the flavor of these veggies are until you try it! I am a girl who has always steamed veggies and since I tried roasting veggies for the first time, I have to eat them this way at least once a week! MMM! The beautiful thing is that you can just throw any veggies you have into a pan, drizzle with some olive or coconut oil, add 1-2 tsp. of shoyu and some bay leaves...cover with tin foil and bake at 350' for 40 minutes, checking once or twice to mix so that the veggies bake evenly. This time the veggies I used were kombucha squash, sweet potatoes, yam, mushrooms, garlic, onion, celery, zucchini and purple carrots! The kombucha squash and carrots were local so I didn't take the skin off or peel them! Just washed the veggies and cut them up! Easy and delicious! While the veggies were cooking, I did a Jillian Michaels DVD which always kicks my butt! I am in love with her DVDs! Never before have I become drenched by doing a workout in my own home! Since I usually workout while Noah naps, I can get my workout in and be close to my baby when he needs me! I usually feel refreshed and energized by the end of my workouts so that I can go-go-go with Noah until bedtime! That being said, today has been a lazy day where I felt the desire to blog instead of working out...I really should just suck it up and go for a run! It's not raining, just gloomy-looking...Noah's new favorite phrase is "Ready-set-go" so I will tell that to myself and once I start, I'll feel so much better! Okay, it's go time. I know that while I run today I will think about food since I just wrote all about it!!! haha...

No comments:

Post a Comment