We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Friday, October 29, 2010

Cornbread Muffinlicious Blowing Your Mind!

Alicia Silverstone deserves a medal... seriously... a golden medal for including this cornbread recipe in her book. I am a HUGE cornbread fan, but haven't found a recipe that challenges my favourite cornbread (ok, the first cornbread I ever tasted... a catered event that had cornbread muffins for a fourth of july bash at my uncles cabin in Wisconsin... amazing!) and this recipe takes the cake! This recipe took like 5 minutes to prepare and only 25-30 min to bake... so super easy! The only thing was, the bottom of the muffin cups and muffins were kind of soggy? I'm not sure why this would be. The muffins were clearly fully baked (the middles and tops were perfect)? The batter/dough was very liquidy, but often cornbread batter/doughs are? So I'm not sure what happened here, but the ridiculously amazing taste makes this point obsolete.

Thank-you Alicia! (From Alicia Silverstone's The Kind Diet)

Cornbread

Makes: 12 muffins or 1 (9"x9") pan

Ingredients
1 cup sorghum or maple syrup (I used maple syrup as I only had sorghum flour, not plain sorghum)
1 1/4 cups soy milk (as per usual, I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
1/4 cup safflower oil
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400F. Oil a 9"x9" baking dish or 12-cup muffin tin. Combing the sorghum/syrup, soy milk, and oil in a medium bowl and mix well. In another bowl, stir together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, and mix just until well combined.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake for 25 to 30 min (I took mine out around 25 min, maybe next time I will leave until 30, but I'm not a fan of dry cornbread, so I will check often) or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cornbread or a muffin comes out clean. They will be golden brown and crazy delicious (it's true!). If you don't eat these within 3 days (store these at room temp, not in fridge) then just freeze them! (ha ha yah right, these will be gone in 2 days for sure!)

Notes: Stir the batter just enough to combine the ingredients (muffins can become heavy and tough if the batter is overmixed). It is tempting to overmix these as when you combine the dry and wet ingredients it will be a little clumpy, but it's ok it it's a little clumpy!



Mmm... salivating....


My mom loved them!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment