We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Black Bean Patties - Vegan Burgers

Who doesn't love a veggie or vegan burger? Honestly, I crave these much much more than I ever craved beef or bison or turkey or chicken or any meat burger! I still feel very full after I eat a veggie burger (sometimes even more than after I ate a meat burger), but I also feel more "full" (aka, it's made of so many better ingredients that I also feel satisfied nutritionally as well as full).

Anyways, the good weather is finally returning to us (yes... Winnipeg got to plus 14 and sunny today... crazy! ... for those of you who don't know Winnipeg very well, that would put most Winnipeger's outside in their bikinis... or at least a pair of short shorts) and that means its burger time!

This recipe is actually fantastic, probably my fave so far (not that I've tried thousands). It's the perfect mix of easy to make, simple but good-for-you ingredients and a great taste (some burgers are very bland and you have to use the toppings to make it a burger, this one has lots of flavour... but I still love the toppings!).

My dad even loved it too!

Black Bean Patties (Vegan Burgers)
From Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Cookbook (Thanks Tosca!)

Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Yield: 10 x four-inch patties

Note: Makes 10 patties... so unless you're having a dinner party or want lots of leftovers adjust accordingly!

Ingredients:
2 cups/480 mL black beans, canned or cooked, rinsed and drained
1 small onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 cloves fresh garlic, left whole
1 carrot, chopped fine or grated
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup/60 mL natural nut butter -almond, cashew or peanut (I used almond!)
1/4 cup unsalted, raw sunflower seeds
3 Tbsp flaxseeds
Dash vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp coconut butter or best-quality olive oil
2 egg white's worth of egg replacer
Pinch red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chopped celery leaves (I used flat leaf parsley!)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp unrefined sea salt
1 Tbsp fresh thyme

Directions:
-Preheat oven to 375F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper
-Place all ingredients in food processor and process until uniform
-Divide mixture into patties of equal size (about four-inches in diameter) and put on sheet
-Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top
-Serve on toasted Ezekiel or other whole-grain buns and garnish with what you'd like!

Notes: Mine took about 25 minutes to bake... but bake to the firmness you would like! Great toppings: salsa, hummus, organic agave ketchup, pickles, lettuce, tomato....

Other Ideas: I made 5 patties and therefore had a few leftover. Save to make a burger another meal, or use in other ways. For work one day I packed a small salad with dressing on the side and then packed a patty with a little container of salsa, heated up the patty and dolloped it with salsa... delish! I think it would be also delicious served crumbled on top of a salad :)

Nutritional Info (for one four-inch patty):
Calories: 178
Protein: 7 g
Carbs: 20 g
Total Fat: 9 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Trans Fat: 0 g
Fiber: 7 g
Sodium: 367 mg
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sugar: 1 g

My burger looks very plain... but let me tell you it was not!

I definitely garnished it with a few of these... and some pickles and ketchup!

I made a delicious salad for the side (spinach, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, peppers, artichoke hearts and hemp hearts)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment