We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Vegan Hawaiian Pita Pizza!

I had been craving for the longest time Hawaiian pizza. That was always my pizza of choice as a kid. I just loved the mix of the sweetness of the pineapple and the tomato. Now I've been lactose intolerant (and apparently allergic??) to dairy since I was at least 10, so I'm quite used to ordering cheeseless pizza. I don't really crave cheese because cheese is something that is so mentally ingrained in my mind as something that will make me sick, but after I bought some of this pre-shredded Daiya cheese (non-dairy, vegan cheese... the best "melting" and "real" vegan cheese that I've heard of) I've been quite enjoying it (in moderation... again I don't really crave it, but kind of enjoy it as a treat and also as something very 'foreign' to me).

I had seen other people making pita pizzas at home and I thought... why can't I do this with Daiya cheese. So I experimented and.... wow! Delicious! Still definitely a treat for me, but very very good.

I used a Pita Pocket (it's a pita that's a little bit smaller than normal size pitas). I layered on top of it an organic pizza/spaghetti sauce (from Eden), put on some chunks of pineapple, then some pre-shredded Daiya cheese, and then some more chunks of pineapple... and voila! I baked it on parchment paper on a cookie sheet at about 375F for maybe 20 minutes? I just kept checking it every 5 minutes of so. I let it cool it a little and then sliced it into pizza slices with a pizza cutter (you don't have to slice it, but I really wanted to feel like I was eating a pizza like all those other people who get to experience eating a real pizza... I don't even remember what it's like!).



I loved it :)

P.s. If you live in the Winnipeg area you can buy Daiya Cheese at Eat It Organic!

No comments:

Post a Comment