We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Vegan Blondies

It has been FAR FAR FAR too long! Jay and I have been so distracted with life that we haven't had time to blog! We both have lots of things to share with you though! I feel Jay has a few more things on her plate to distract her from blogging than I do (she's due with her second child in a month! Woohoo!) but I've also been super busy. Anyways, fear no more... we are back!

I made these probably a month ago and they were delicious.


Vegan "Blondies"
From Babycakes (by Erin McKenna)... Thanks!

Makes: 36

Ingredients:
1/2 cup garbanzo-fava bean flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 potato starch
1/4 cup arrowroot
1 1/4 cups evaporated cane juice
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp salt (I used sea salt)
1/2 cup coconut oil, plus more for the tins
1/3 cup homemade applesauce
2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup hot water
1 cup vegan chocolate chips

Directions:
-Preheat the oven to 325F and lightly grease three 12-cup mini-muffin tins with oil (see notes).
-Whisk together flours, starch, arrowroot, cane juice, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt in a bowl
-Add the oil, applesauce, vanilla and hot water and stir until smooth
-Gently fold in chocolate chips using a plastic spatula
-Using a melon baller, scoop batter into cups
-Bake on center rack for 9 minutes, rotating 180 degrees after 5 minutes (they will be golden brown and firm to the touch when done)
-Let them stand in the tins for 10 minutes
-Cover and store at room temp for up to 3 days





Notes: The 1/2 cup coconut oil is after it's been melted (HUGE tip for me... when I started baking with coconut oil I wouldn't melt it, and the batter would always have little chunks of coconut oil and it was always a disaster! melting is so much easier!). I also used muffin cups instead of greasing the tins (they were a little too stained from past endeavours, so I thought this was better). I didn't have mini-muffin tins, so I used the regular ones and adjusted baking time (it has been too long since I made these, but I would guess somewhere between 20-25 minutes in the oven would do the trick).




Mmm!

The final products were delicious! I'm not how to describe the taste though. They are very sweet and cakey, they do not taste like muffins. I love them!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment