We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Heartwarming Hot Chocolate - Vegan of Course! for those cold winter days!


Hello All!

I know it's been awhile! I have so many thoughts and ideas for blogs but have found it hard to find balance and time between motherhood, pregnancy, friends, family, hubby-time, school, house-stuff and well....LIFE! But I've missed this blog and thought that I would start things off with a lil' blog about this delicious hot chocolate I've been making for my family! I am not a huge fan of hot chocolate normally as I find it far-too sweet but this recipe that I have been making is from the Babycakes cookbook and it is outstanding! Not overly sweet and it's just perfect for those chilly Winter days!

Our son Noah leads a pretty healthy lifestyle and Dan and I don't really give him juice or sweetened drinks...we actually make him rooibos tea or what we call 'kids tea' for a 'treat' and he loves it! We don't sweeten it but let him drink it warm through a straw and he gets so excited! Dan and I don't have to worry about his teeth rotting or a crazy sugar high! That being said, on the odd occasion (like when we went to Tofino last weekend), it sometimes is so wonderful to just curl up together and talk over some delicious hot chocolate! So if you're in the mood for sharing some snuggles, laughs, talks or any other time when you might just feel like some hot chocolate, then here is the recipe that I use and it's AMAZING!



Hot Chocolate - Recipe from Babycakes by Erin McKenna
Serves 4

4 cups of unsweetened soy milk
4 tablespoons of agave nectar
2 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract
8 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder

In a medium saucepan, combine the soy milk, agave nectar, and vanilla. Over a medium flame, heat the mixture for 3 minutes, or until hot (I find that it takes about 5-10 minutes for the mixture to become hot). Stir the cocoa powder into the saucepan and whisk until dissolved. Evenly distribute into 4 mugs! If you're feeling crazy, throw in some vegan marshmallows! I stumbled upon some by accident at Planet Organic one day and curiosity overcame me as I hadn't tasted a marshmallow in over ten years! So I bought the package and as you can see by pics that Ally posted, things got crazy! I love these!!! They are really sweet so I only will eat a few or else you would just be sick and not find them so lovely!



Enjoy your hot chocolate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment