We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Curried Pumpkin Soup

It's been a crazy and busy month already! I have been WAY too busy to update... but much more will be coming! I'm off to Victoria on Monday to visit Jay, Dan and wonderful little Noah (and baby-to-be!). It's my birthday on February 10th, so I'll get to spend my birthday with them! (It's been FAR too long since I've spent my birthday with my brother). I'm SO excited! Yay!

Anyways, my parents have been away in Hawaii (yes... Hawaii... why was I not packed in their suitcase?) and my aunt stopped by for the evening. I decided I would make her some delicious pumpkin soup (perfect for the horribly cold day it was). I used the recipe found in Skinny Bitch by Kim Barnouin (thanks!) given to me from Jay for Christmas! So far it looks like a great vegan cookbook, I just have not had the time to make enough from it (when I do I will definitely review it!).

Curried Pumpkin Soup
Makes: 6 servings (you will want two! It's just too good!)

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp Earth Balance
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 cups (500 g) pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1 tbsp curry powder
1/4 cup (50 g) evaporated cane sugar
1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
3 cups vegetable stock
1/2 dry white wine
1 1/2 cups almond milk
Salt and freshly group pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp chopped toasted pumpkin seeds

Method:
-Melt Earth Balance over medium heat and then add apples and onions and cook until onions are soft (~8 min)
-Add pumpkin, curry, both sugars and cook for 2 min
-Add the stock and wine and increase to medium-high heat and bring to a boil
-Reduce heat to low, partially cover and cook for 20 min
-Remove from heat and transfer half to a food processor/blender and let it sit 20 min to cool
-Keep remaining soup in the pot and set aside to cool
-Puree the soup in a blender/food processor until smooth and pour into a large bowl
-Transfer remaining soup into blender/food processor and puree until smooth
-Return all the soup to the pan and cook gently over medium-low heat until heated through
-Pour in milk and stir until hot, add salt/pepper to taste and garnish with pumpkin seeds

Honestly, this was a fantastic soup. Super easy to make and it had a great taste. It was sweet enough, but also had this great after-taste (from the wine!).


I also steamed some kale and zucchini with some Braggs!


And I took a few cosmic cookies out of the freezer to enjoy for dessert! Mmm :)



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment