We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Apple and Hemp Muffins!


Wow! What a BEAUTIFUL Saturday!!! Today was the first day of the year that Dan and I walked around without sweaters, and Noah without his coat! After the busy week we've had, it was really a treat to explore the park and feed the ducks together! Noah was so excited too!
Since tomorrow is Mother's Day and I'm guessing that I might be lucky enough to sleep in a little, Noah and I let Papa sleep while we played around the house, went for a walk and made some muffins! I have been wanting to make apple muffins for awhile now and I stumbled upon this amazing recipe on the internet for apple-hemp muffins! The recipe is originally from a cookbook which I don't have called
Vive le Vegan! You can order the cookbook on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Vive-Vegan-Delectable-Recipes-Everyday/dp/1551521695 but I don't have it so I can't tell you anymore about it other than it has an amazing muffin recipe! I took the recipe for the muffins and modified it slightly (I added chunks of a soft apple to the muffin mix because I LOVE the taste of real apple bits in a muffin), to meet our family's preference and what was available...they turned out AMAZING!

So here is the recipe for
Apple and Hemp Muffins:

1 1/2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup of ground oats (I ground organic rolled oats in our magic bullet, coffee grinder component but you could also use a food-processor)
1/2 cup of hemp hearts
2 tsp. of baking powder
1 tsp. of baking soda
pinch of sea salt
1 tsp. of cinnamon
1/4 tsp. of nutmeg
1/8 tsp. of cardamom
1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
1/2 cup of pure organic maple syrup or agave nectar (I used maple syrup)
3/4 cup of organic almond milk
1 tsp. of pure vanilla extract
3 tbsp. of canola oil
1 apple (I used a Spartan), peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch cube-pieces.

Makes 12 Muffins

Pre-heat the oven to 350'F. In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine all of the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined (do not over-mix). Add the apple pieces. Slightly grease muffin pan with coconut oil. Add the muffin-mix to each muffin cup. Place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes (my oven took only 20 minutes), or until a toothpick is inserted into the middle of a muffin and comes out clean!


Before...
and After!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment