We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day...vegan 'protein' pancakes!


I hope that you are all enjoying this beautiful day! I almost laughed last night because it seemed as though Noah had an 'extra' bad sleep and wanted "Just Mama" and at 2 am, I just had to laugh because I realized that this was really what being a mother is all about!!! Providing comfort and safety like no other and nurturing...nobody except Noah could drag me out of bed numerous times and through my exhaustion, still fill me with such pride and happiness (I probably would not have wrote this at 2am)!!!!
The best gift for me is and always will be my family. But really the second best thing that was 'given' to me today was something that most of us take for granted...a quiet house and a good cleaning!!! I'm not joking! Dan took Noah to the store this morning and I had a long bath and read and then washed my hair and even painted my toenails!!! It had been so long since I felt so relaxed and refreshed and CLEAN (don't get any dirty ideas...I shower and bathe on a regular basis but they are super-fast and usually involve Noah crying for me to "come out")!!!! It was SO LOVELY!
I felt that my day couldn't get any better and then Dan surprised me by CREATING his OWN recipe!!! I kid you not!!!! I usually am the cook in our house and Dan is so sweet...I used to make these 'protein pancakes' which were SO SO good but used egg whites and Dan decided to make them but use ground flaxseeds instead of egg whites! So thoughtful! So he made this delicious breakfast as I played with Noah! It was incredible! The only thing that would have topped off the morning, would have been able to share that breakfast with our Winnipeg family and my mother-in-law who really inspires me on a daily basis to be the best mom and wife that I can be!
After breakfast, we went and brought a picnic to the beach with my mom and our dog and we all played in the sun, ate good food and enjoyed some good old-fashioned family fun!

Here is the recipe for Dan's Vegan Protein Pancakes
This recipe makes 3 pancakes:

3 mashed bananas
1/2 cup of ground flaxseeds
1 handful of crushed walnuts
1/4 cup of water
2 tbsp. of almond milk (you may need to add more or less to make the desired 'pancake' consistency)
1 tsp. of pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. cinnamon

You add all of the ingredients and mix together well. Heat a frying pan with coconut oil over low-medium heat. Pour batter into the pan (you want your pancake to fill most of the pan and you don't want it to be too thick). Cook for a few minutes (until lightly brown and flips easily), and then flip and cook on the other side for another few minutes.

I added unsweetened applesauce, berries and pure maple syrup to my pancake and it was DIVINE! So incredible!

I told Dan that by him making this breakfast he just volunteered himself to be the 'Sunday Breakfast Man'!!!! Whoohooo!

ENJOY and I hope you all have an incredible and happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment