We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Blackberry Muffins that are good enough to share! Bonus: they're Vegan!


I love muffins! They are so delicious and comforting on a dreary day! Most muffins are full of terrible ingredients that spike your blood sugar and then leave you feeling lethargic and craving more sugar and it's just the beginning of a vicious cycle! I have tried a few vegan muffin recipes out there and this one is by far the best! I was inspired by the recipe from this website: http://www.laurensveganjournal.org/2006/05/blackberry_muffins.html
but of course I made changes to make it in my opinion a little more delicious and nutritious (by adding ground flax seeds and using spelt flour) and substituting maple sugar instead of brown sugar (really you can use whatever is your favorite). I also added coconut and cinnamon because I think they make everything better!

I bought my blackberries from Dan's Farm on Oldfield so they are frozen from last summer but local and delicious!

Here is the recipe for :

Vegan Blackberry Muffins:
2 cups of spelt flour
3 tsp. of baking powder
2/3 cup of maple sugar (or brown sugar)
2 tbsp. of ground flax seeds
1 tbsp. of coconut
1 tsp. of cinnamon

1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup of almond milk (you can use your favorite milk alternative)
1/4 cup of canola oil
1 cup of blackberries

Preheat oven to 350'. Mix all of the dry ingredients in one bowl. In a separate bowl mix all of the wet ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together. Add the blackberries and carefully mix but be careful not to mush them! I used frozen berries and did not thaw them. Just throw them in and the oven will work it's magic! Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin with coconut oil and spoon out the muffin mix into the 12 cups. Place muffin mixture in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Check to see if they are ready by poking the middle of a muffin with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, they are ready!


Noah and I brought these muffins to our friend Ashley's house yesterday when Noah was going for a play-date with her twin boys! The boys all devoured them! Dan was happy that I saved some muffins for him at home! Whenever I make these, they are eaten within a day or two! Dangerous but delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment