We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Chickpea Burgers

So as I said earlier, I have been waiting so long to get a food processor... and I finally got one! Food processors are so expensive (most are $200 - $400), but Jayanna was tipped by someone that there was a great one that works great at Wal-Mart for only $70. Jayanna bought it attested that it did work very well, so I went ahead and got our family one! It really is a must-have item if you're looking at not only eating healthier, but if you want to eat less processed and more vegetarian/vegan meals.

Almost all the recipes I've wanted to try for both baking (think: carrot muffins) and for cooking (think: any vegetarian patty) and other delicious things (this delicious fruit yogurt cheese dip or yummy yummy hummus!) requires a food processor. There are some things you can try finding already ground (we found ground almonds for our almond burgers) or you can grind yourself (making guacamole can be done this way since avocados are so soft), but if you're going to be trying lots of these kinds of recipes then you might as well shell out and get a food processor.

I'm sure there are more features on more expensive food processors, but this one works great. Let me say, my first time using it was a little hilarious (think: chickpea mush on the floor, on the food processor, on my dog and on the fridge), but I think it takes a few times to figure out the best way and most efficient/less messy way to do it (which order to put things in, which blades to use).


The first recipe I tried was a recipe for Chickpea burgers. I love veggie patties and I have about a thousand recipes (black bean patties, lentil patties...), so I just chose a random one with ingredients and I had and off I went!

Ally's Chickpea Burger Patties (Gluten Free!)

-1 can chickpeas (any bean you'd like)
-1 cup oats (use more oats to make pattie easier to mold)
-2 small peppers (I used orange peppers as they were the closest in the fridge!)
-1 cup spinach
-1 carrot
-1/4 cup flax seeds (or sunflower seeds)
-Sea salt to taste
-Cayenne
-Cumin
-Dill (I added quite a lot of cumin and cayenne)

Method: Put all ingredients in a food processor until properly mixed. Shape into burger patties on a baking sheet (I used parchment paper) and bake at 375 F for 15-20 minutes per side.

The recipe will make about 6 large patties (I made 12 large patties because I doubled the recipe). When flipping the patties it is best to use a very thin metal spatula, otherwise they will break apart. It took about 20-22 minutes/side as my patties were quite large. After they are done let them cool a little until removing them from the pan (they will harden a little more and be better formed). Serve on a whole what bun (with hummus, mustard and Organicville agave nectar ketchup!), alone or even crumbled into a salad!



I also made some sweet potato fries to go with (I have been craving these so much lately and I love the home made kind)! I know most people make them with a little bit of oil sprinkled on them, but I thought if you're making them on parchment paper there is no need for oil... and I was right! I made these at 400 F with no oil and they were delish! Next time I'll make them really thin (I love them crispy and even burnt. Mmm :)


No comments:

Post a Comment