We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

West Jetting!

A few weeks ago I visited my sister-in-law, Jayanna, my brother, Dan, and my little nephew, Noah, in Victoria! I love going to visit them and getting to spend time with my nephew... especially since they live in such a wonderful city as Victoria.

One thing I'm not a fan of though, is travel. I love getting time away from my computer and tv (I never watch the tv's on the planes, mostly because I don't want to, but also because 99% of the time I choose the one seat on the plane that the tv isn't working) to be able to read a few magazines, read a book, listen to some great music or just to sit, look at the view and think.

What I don't like about travel though, is the stress of everything. The stress of the actual flight (I'm not super afraid of flying, but I can get nervous at times) and also the stress of my schedule. I like being at home, or even at Jay and Dan's, because I'm in control of what I eat. When travelling, it is so hard to find good, nutritious food... and most especially food that doesn't make me sick. I will often find something healthier, but it will be made with cheese or some sort of dairy sauce. Then there are stores up stores that have lots of candy and treats, which I might be able to stay away from if I had something to fill my stomach, but since they don't upset my stomach, and there's no other options, I often choose something unhealthy from there. Then there's the final option... eat nothing. Often flight to Victoria involve two flights, and a few hours in between each flight, so eating nothing is definitely not a good option.

My solution... bring something nutritious and yummy with you! I like bringing something easy to eat, something with variety (who knows what you'll want) and maybe even a little more than you think you'll need (I would rather eat more healthy snacks than say yes to those bits n' bites or cookies they offer). On the flight to Victoria I loaded up on cut-up veggies (cucumbers, celery and peppers)... I didn't need anything too big as the flight left really early in the morning.

On the flight home (around dinner time) I packed a veggie wrap I had gotten at Adrienne's Tea Garden in Mattick's Farm in Victoria. This place is super close to Jay and Dan's home and has amazing little shops, some local produce and Adrienne's (we often go there for some amazing breakfast or lunch). The veggie wrap is beyond delicious (my mouth is watering as I type this). It is filled with lots of veggies (artichokes, greens, tomatoes....) and we often ask for it without any feta, spinach spread or mayo, and have some honey mustard put on.... delish:


I also packed some delicious celery and cucumbers (cucumbers are also very hydrating for the flight!)



It's also a great idea to bring a few bags of your favourite tea. I always get so cold and/or nervous on flights and so it's very soothing/warming to have some of your own tea! I brought some delicious green tea. What do you like to bring on flights with you? What do you like to buy in the airport to much on?

No comments:

Post a Comment