We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Friday, April 9, 2010

Miso!

Isn't it funny how some of our favourite foods/dishes/ingredients can so quickly become our favourites as adults, even though we spent our childhood resisting even trying them? Seaweed.... in soup... really? I just got used to in wrapped around rice!

I didn't have a childhood filled with any seafood, let alone algae from the sea! My brother is deadly allergic and the first memory I have of eating any seafood was when I was probably ten and my first sushi experience was my first week of university in Kingston. I slowly began to love it and now my love is in full bloom... mmm :)

Jayanna and Dan introduced me to miso soup a few weeks ago when I was in Victoria... and what can I say... de-lish. What I loved about their miso (and my miso) soup is that it doesn't have too many ingredients in it that it becomes a stew. Miso soup is very alkalizing and healing for the body and to be honest, that is exactly what I feel when I taste this soup (medically or non, this stuff is amazing!).


Miso Soup

2 Cups of water

Some arame or 3 strips of dulse (soak arame in a bowl covered with warm water for 20 minutes and then rinse) (I used arame as it doesn't have as strong a flavour)

1 medium green onion, finely chopped

2 tbsp. sesame seeds

2 tbsp. of brown rice miso paste (or barley miso paste... or a mix!)

NOTE: Be creative! Add whatever you would like in your delicious soup! I added celery and bok choy. You can add mushroom, spinach... or even noodles if you want a heavier soup.

Bring water with arame to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer (a low heat of 2-3 setting at most) for 5 minutes. Add veggies for another 5 minutes and while you are letting this cook, toast on a bare pan the sesame seeds and green onion. Take 2-3 tbsp of the boiled water out of the pot and place in a bowl and mix in the miso and then add the mixed miso back into the pot. Let heat for another 2 minutes and then serve in bowls topping with the sesame seeds and green onions! MMM!

Makes 2 small servings

I made a double recipe (ok... well all the arame fell into the bowl instead of half... so I had to make a double recipe!), which is why my pot is so big!

This recipe is from The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier and he has a few more tips/tricks:

-This is an alkalizing soup, rich in calcium and trace mineral, provides natural-source electrolytes to help restore balance in the body after exercise

-For a more intense flavour, lightly stir-fry the scallion and the ground sesame seeds in 1 tbsp coconut oil

-Black sesame seeds are also a nice variation from the usual white variety

-For added nutrition add 1 tbsp hemp protein

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. haha Ally it`s so funny because I am making miso soup right NOW!!! I signed in and saw that you put up this recipe and just started laughing because I came on to put it up!!! haha...love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha... I think we are too much alike Jay :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete