We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A day of food!

I thought I would bring you a snapshot of some of the food I'm having today! In general I always start my morning off with oats, and today was no exception (recipe in past posting). Generally though, I like variety for the rest of my food in the day. I'm always finding new recipes, new ways to cook and combine food and new food to buy! One day I'll be having steamed greens with braggs and hemp hearts and the next day I'll have a veggie wrap or salad... or anything else! I love soup, but I am pretty picky when it comes to soup. I love my mom's Butter Soup (no butter in it, that's just the name) or my mom's Borscht (mmm), but I generally don't love other soups. I really want to find a great recipe for a sweet potato/yam/squash soup, but they all involve food processors, so I will have to wait for that one.

That's why I bought this pre-made Organic soup. I really try to make my own food, but we are all in a hurry and often in lack of food processors, so I think it's important to at least have a few ready to eat meals handy. And if you get ones that organic they are usually much more healthy made and with healthier and less processed ingredients. This soup was really delicious and I toasted a little bread to dip in it... yum! I love all the organic ingredients too. I think it could have used a little something extra though... spice?



I've also always wanted to try these 'Green Monsters' that everyone in my healthy blog world talks about. A Green Monster is a general name for a healthy shake/smoothie made with spinach and often banana, and a few other ingredients. Most of the ones I've seen have looked very green, but I added some blueberries to mask the green and only used about 1.5 cups of spinach (most people use 2-3 cups). This was amazingly delicious though! I thought it would taste... well... you know... green? You did taste a little spinach, but mixed with the banana it tasted so amazing, just like what a healthy smoothie should taste like. Next time I'm going to add even more spinach, because it gave it a great flavour... and I'm not scared of a little spinach :)


Ally's Blueberry Green Monster

1.5 - 3 cups spinach
1 mashed ripe banana
0.5-1.5 cup almond, hemp, rice or soy milk (I used unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze... mmm)
1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
Blueberries (as many as you feel you want to add)
Ice

Put this all in a blender and blend away!

There are a lot of other things you could add, or not add, to a Green Monster. I've seen a lot of recipes with pumpkin and even a peanut butter/chocolate version... so check them out online!


This is the dinner I made up to eat at work. I love taking a salad to work because it not only fills me up and keeps me full, but it takes a while to eat, so you almost feel like you're getting more! I really wanted to add some protein in this by adding some chickpeas to the salad, but unfortunately our can opener went missing overnight... dun dun dun....

So instead my salad consisted of romaine lettuce, red bell pepper, cucumbers and artichoke hearts with my healthy salad dressing! I also packed a little bit of fresh delicious strawberries... mmm!




I will have to find some protein when I get home from work! I hope everyone has a delicious day!

No comments:

Post a Comment