We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Saturday, April 24, 2010

D is for Desserts! YUM!

It's been a few days since my last post! I was hoping to have my A-Z list completed by May 15th and I still am optimistic that it will with a few extra posts on days that are less busy! I've had a crazy busy week completing my last practicum and visiting with Dan's parents (wish you were here too Ally)!!! Anyways, I've been doing Hot Yoga (I did 4 days in a row and since then I have gone every other day...except I went yesterday and today so two days in a row and let me tell you - it's the way to go)!!! I am so proud of my hubby because he went today too!!! He had been once a long time ago, so it was like his first time...and he LOVED it!!!! So between yoga and running I'm feeling good! Exercise has given me the energy to balance a very busy schedule! But let's face it...sometimes when we're winding down from a busy time or visiting with family/friends, it's nice to have a great dessert!!!! MMM!

The other night, Oma, Papa, Noah and I all shared a slice of delicious vegan chocolate cake! I bought it from Planet Organic but have made the same cake for Dan's birthday last year and also ordered it from Planet Organic, for Noah's first birthday party last summer! It is incredible and anyone who likes chocolate cake, vegan or not, will LOVE this cake! It's delicious!!! The icing especially is incredible...mmm! So if you're in the area and feeling like a small slice of indulgence (without the tempting leftovers), stop at Planet Organic for their vegan chocolate cake! *NOTE: Ask the staff there if they have any special events coming up where they offer discounts because today they had 10% off your entire grocery bill!!! Plus free coffee and cosmic cookies! WHOOHOO!

The last time I made a vegan chocolate cake was for Valentine's Day! I wanted to make something special for Dan and I thought that something chocolaty would be decadent!!! Topped with strawberries, the chocolate cake that I made was quite romantic and we enjoyed every last bite! A little went a long ways and we had leftovers that I wish we had shared with friends because we ate a LOT of cake that week!!!!

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures but I have the recipe for this vegan chocolate cake if anyone is feeling in the mood for some baking! It's from The Kind Diet! The recipe calls for coffee which you can add or not add if you don't want that slight espresso taste...I don't drink coffee (I'm a tea lover), but I do enjoy the odd coffee/chocolate combination taste in a good quality dessert...so when I made this cake at Valentine's Day, I did put coffee in it! I think that I will make the cake for Noah's birthday this year instead of ordering one and I obviously won't add the coffee!!!!

So here is the recipe for Alicia Silverstone's Chocolate Coffee Cake (she calls them brownies):

Makes 8" or 9" Square Pan
Preheat the oven to 325'F. Oil a square baking pan

Ingredients:

3/4 cups of whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 cups of brown rice flour (I used spelt flour)
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. of baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. of baking soda
pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of maple sugar
3/4 cup of almond milk
3/4 cup brewed coffee (optional)
1/2 cup of canola oil
1/2 cup of toasted walnuts * I never knew how AMAZING toasted walnuts were and what a difference it really makes to toast them first....but you MUST do it because they are delicious and add an extra deliciousness to this cake/brownie!
*To toast walnuts, spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and place in the oven that's been pre-heated to 350'F . Toast in the oven for 8-10 minutes. While they are toasting, stir a couple of times. The walnuts are ready when they are slightly browned.

Icing:
1 1/2 cups of dark chocolate chips (non-dairy)
1/2 cup of Earth Balance butter

S
ift the flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Add the sugar and stir.

In a separate bowl, stir together the almond milk, coffee, and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir to mix well. Stir in the toasted walnuts.

Pour the mixture into the pan, and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean. Place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.


Once the cake has completely cooled, make the icing. Melt the chocolate chips and butter together in a double broiler until completely smooth. *I didn't have a double boiler at the time so I took Alicia's suggestion and put the two ingredients into a stainless steel bowl that was placed over boiling water.

Pour the warm icing over the entire cake, smoothing it out over the surface. Chill in the fridge until the glaze has set, about 1 hour. Cut into pieces and serve! I served ours with strawberries and it was amazing!

Unfortunately because I made this for Valentine's Day, I didn't take a picture (we ate it too fast!!!), but if you make it, please send some pics in so that everyone can see how delicious it looks!!!! I will take pics the next time we make this...maybe Mother's Day?!!!! (I'll get Dan to make it for me!!)







No comments:

Post a Comment