We are two individuals, sister-in-laws, and friends who are striving to thrive and be our personal best as well as making our surroundings a better place to live! Connected by faith, family, friendship, photos, and writing, we just want to share our journey with you!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

I love a great book. You know that book that you just can't put down? That book that takes you on a rollar coaster of emotions and you find yourself getting up early to read or staying up ridiculously late (and it doesn't even put you to sleep)?! Well to me, The Book Thief, is one of those great books. In fact, I was so sad when I finished reading it, that even though it's been months since I read it, I still think about it and am disappointed when other books don't take me on that same journey! If you liked The Kiterunner, you will love The Book Thief.
I don't usually read books fast. I tend to start one book, flip to another...with a son, work, school, blogging and LIFE, it's hard to get through a book fast! The Book Thief was the exception. I read it in just a few days! Now it definitely doesn't directly relate to health or even the environment, but I was whisked on a journey and found inspiration in Liesel's (the main character) story.
The book is narrated by Death which at first threw me for a loop and I wasn't sure what to make of this. But trust me: 60 pages in (the book has 550 pages), and you'll be hooked!
The book takes place in Germany, before and during World War II. I don't want to give away too many details but I really like this quote from The Book Thief's website. "A life-changing tale of the cruel twists of fate and the coincidences on which all our lives hinge, this is also a joyous look at the power of words and the ability of books to nourish the soul."
The kindness that is portrayed in this book and the innocence is amazing. I love being inspired by a good book and I just wanted to say that it's not only 'health' books that inspire me! A great adventure or deeply moving book does it too! I found so much admiration and love for Liesel's character and discovered a new-found appreciation for leading and loving all mankind in the way that I do.
So if you have time and are looking for a good book, I recommend The Book Thief! Don't look at the wikipedia description of the book because it gives away WAY TOO MUCH! You want to be a part of the journey, full of predictions and wonder. Wikipedia will ruin that! Don't go there! Instead, I will give you one last quote from the back of the novel: "By her brother's graveside, Liesel Meminger's life is changed when she picks up a single object, partially hidden in the snow. It is The Grave Digger's Handbook, left there by accident, and it is her first act of book thievery. So begins a love affair with books and words, as Liesel, with the help of her accordian-playing foster father, learns to read...When Liesel's foster family hides a Jew in their basement, Liesel's world is both opened up and closed down"


No comments:

Post a Comment